Friday, April 18, 2008

thinking about the future

this morning was *definitely* one of those "Bella, sweetie, please give mommy 5 more minutes... mommy just needs a little more sleep" kind of mornings. (kind of like hitting the snooze, which I did for about an hour this morning. DON'T JUDGE, you're not here! you don't know! ;) (if it is any consolation, when she stopped making noise I woke right up- kinda freaked me out)

anyway, in one of those little periods of sleeping I was thinking about Bella going to college and I began to think that it would be really good if she didn't right after "high school"- if she goes. I began reasoning that she should work for 2 years or so and appreciate the experience of making money and having responsibility (*gasp!*), before starting college. can any 18 year old really appreciate the opportunity of getting a higher education if they haven't at least tasted the grunt of working class for a while? I was also thinking that even if she worked at mcdonald's (which she won't), she could do that anywhere in the world (yucky big corporation take over crap). work, see the world, and decide where she wants to pursue education. God bless state school education, but there's a whole lot more out there in the world, and I want her to see, taste and experience it all.


thoughts anyway.

what do you think?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting thougts. I just don't know if I'd work for two years right after high school, cuz when you do go to college your not in classes with people your age, and I had friends who took semesters off to work and never came back because they enjoyed make $30,000 a year instead of being a poor college student. Just thoughts. Why were you sleeping in so late?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I actually might be coming out by your way sometime soon to pick up a jet ski I'm buying. It's in Tennessee. If you guys arn't too far from where I'm gona be maybe I could come by and we could take them out on the ocean or something. That would be a blast. Where exactly do you guys live again though? I'll have to check the distance.

Trudy said...

College.....I'm still trying to get mine through homeschool!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I kinda think no one should be able to go to college right out of high school. Most 18 year olds don't know what they want to major in anyways and end up taking a bunch of classes that count for nothing and then they're in college even longer. Might as well get some real world work experience and figure out what you would really want to do for the rest of your life before dropping all that time and money on classes that'll count for nada.

Tami said...

honestly, i think it varies. it would've been good for me to take some time off before college. i felt pressured to go to college because that's what all my friends were doing; and when i did, i failed miserably, because i didn't have good direction from Man and wasn't seeking it from God. so i would've done better with some stop-and-think-about-it time.

others are more directed at that age and may be able to take on that challenge...and have the necessary support group (which i lacked)...to take it on in faith.

don't worry about that now. plan ahead for it, but be ready for your plans to change to fit God's. :)

peace.

Anonymous said...

that's what I did, and I'm lovin' it! If you raise Bella the way I know you already do, she'll be able to listen to her heart and to what God is leading her to... what, where and when! Be blessed! :)